Saturday, January 12, 2013

Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup

This original recipe is for the crock pot and comes from here. I kind of like making soups on the stove though (probably because I like to taste them throughout the day as they cook!) I halved the original recipe, mainly because I had the ingredients for the halved version on hand and didn't feel like running to the grocery to get more. :) Other than that, I only changed a few things. So whether you go with the original crock pot version or this one, I hope you like it as much as we did!

Ingredients:
(Serves 4)
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes, with juice
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1/2 cup finely diced carrots
1/2 cup finely diced shallots
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 T dried basil
1 tsp minced garlic

6 T butter, divided
2 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf 
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese 

1 cup half and half, warmed 
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper



I hand-chopped the shallots and used the blender for the carrots and celery.

Saute carrots, celery, onions, 2T butter, and garlic for 5 minutes.

Add chicken broth, tomatoes, and spices (including salt and pepper).


Simmer for a couple hours.

After the soup has simmered for at least a couple hours, prepare a roux. Melt remaining butter over low heat and add flour. Stir constantly with a whisk for 2-3 minutes.

Add one cup of the soup to the roux and mix until well blended.



Add roux, warmed half and half, and parmesan to the remaining soup. Blend.
Allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes before serving.


I served it with pierogies, but it is definitely filling enough to serve with just bread.

11 comments:

  1. I have made this same soup twice already! Yum! We have similar taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing and really bright cute pictures, i have pinned this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds/looks so good!! I think I will make your recipe since I am the only one who will eat it. On the recipe where you list the parm cheese...should it be 1 cup butter or is there parm cheese butter?
    Happy Monday Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tasha, that is too funny! No, I don't believe there is such a thing as parmesan cheese butter... although if there was, I would definitley buy it! ;)

    I made the correction- thanks for calling my attention to it!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks SO good!! You are always cooking such awesome recipes! Thanks for sharing! I'm slowly learning new recipes (and how to cook)!
    Hope you and Matt had a wonderful weekend!
    Have a nice night! Xoxox
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks perfect, I'm glad I pinned this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delish! Following you back via GFC. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy...looks tasty! Thanks so much for dropping by and following...following you back! Have a blessed evening!

    Michell @Prowess and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  9. this soup looks amazing! Im glad I found your blog on the blog hop!

    newest follower openspaces

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, boy, I'm getting some great recipes off this link-up! Many, many thanks!

    New GFC follower! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks wonderful! And I love soups in the winter. Thanks for sharing!
    Found you on a blog hop...so glad I did:)

    ReplyDelete